Residential conveyancing: Sales
The Solicitors Regulatory Authority, the body which regulates law firms, require us to provide you with information on our costs in relation to certain legal services which we provide. This is so that you have the information you need to make an informed choice of legal service provider, and an understanding as to what the total cost of that service may be.
One such legal service is the sale, purchase and mortgage of residential property.
The fees which we charge for residential conveyancing depend on a wide variety of factors including but not limited to whether the transaction is a sale or purchase, where the property is, and whether it is a flat or a house.
We have provided information on the potential costs for sales, purchases and re-mortgages and listed the factors which may cause those costs to increase. However, fees will vary from property to property and can on occasion be significantly more that the ranges given. We can give you an accurate figure once we have specific information about the property including having sight of the relevant documentation.
This page details our pricing structure for property sales.
The legal fees you will pay for a property sale is based on the price of the property, the location of the property and any specific circumstances.
Our fees cover all the work required to complete the sale of your property.
Table 1 below shows the range of fees we can charge for a property of a particular price. For a specific quote, please contact your local office. The specific circumstances are shown in table 2 and disbursements in table 3
|Sale Price||Fee Range excl VAT||Fee Range incl VAT|
For properties valued at over £1,000,000 please contact your local office for a bespoke quotation.
We will charge additional fees (on top of the fees referred to above) for the each of the following specific circumstances:
|Circumstance||Fee excl VAT||Fee incl VAT|
|A Leasehold Flat *||£200||£240|
|A Shared Ownership sale (where you currently own a share in a property (and the landlord owns the other share) *||£250||£300|
|Redeeming a Help To Buy Equity Loan||£100||£120|
|Selling a property with Solar Panels||£100||£120|
|Selling where the lender has issued repossession proceedings||£75||£90|
|Electronic Money Transfer Fee||£30||£36|
There will also be disbursements payable. These are cost relating to your matter that are payable to 3rd parties. We handle the payment of these fees to the 3rd party to ensure a smoother process.
|Disbursement||Cost excluding VAT||Cost including VAT|
|Index Map Search||£4.00||£4.80|
|Copies of the register of title and plan (per title number)||£6.00||£7.20|
|Copies of documents referred to in the register of title (per document)||£3.00||£3.60|
If you are referred to Butcher & Barlow by an introducer where we pay them a referral fee, we will provide you with details of the arrangement and the fee we pay in our client care letter that we will send to you at the beginning of the transaction. This fee is paid by us so that there is no additional charge for you to pay.
* There will be additional disbursements payable where a property is leasehold. These will be set out in the specific lease relating to the property. These disbursements are usually payable to the Freeholder or Management Company (or both). We will advise you on the actual disbursements once we have had sight of the lease.
Our fees assume that:
- This a standard transaction and that no unforeseen matters will arise including for example (but not limited to) a defect in title which require remedying prior to completion or the preparation of additional documents ancillary to the main transaction, a first registration of title prior to a sale, or a sale of part.
- The transaction is concluded in a timely manner and no unreasonable complications arise.
- All parties in the transaction are cooperative and there is no unreasonable delay from third parties providing documentation.
- No indemnity policies are required. Additional disbursements may be required if an indemnity policy is required.
- That the transaction is in the name of an individual only and not a company. If you are selling in the name of a company, please call your nearest office for a quotation.
- That the transaction is not in connection to or relating to any commercial transaction. If this is the case, please call our Gadbrook Park office for a quotation.