I am an Solicitor and Partner and have been working at Butcher & Barlow LLP since 2010.
I studied at Lancaster University, prior to undertaking the Graduate Diploma of Law in Manchester and the Legal Practice Course at The College of Law.
My specialisms cover two practice areas, being Litigation and Private Client work and I act for clients in matters involving the following:
- Probate disputes including claims involving lack of capacity, undue influence and claims under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975;
- Clinical Negligence Claims
- Personal Injury Claims
- Debt recovery disputes for both commercial clients and individuals who are owed money;
- Property disputes for both commercial clients and individuals including disputes over boundaries, rights of way and other easements;
- Landlord/Tenant disputes for both commercial clients and private landlords including dilapidations claims and applications for possession/eviction;
- Consumer Rights Act disputes
- Lasting Powers of Attorney;
- Court of Protection Applications;
Whilst the two practice areas I specialise in are distinct, the knowledge I have in these fields does frequently crossover. Having first-hand experience of dealing with Private Client work is invaluable when dealing with Probate Disputes as it has created a greater understanding of the subject area. Conversely, when instructed by clients to prepare Wills or act on behalf of Executors in Probate matters I am able to consider the consequences and implications of certain approaches and mitigate any potential future claims.
I am also able to advise on the benefits of creating Personal Injury Trusts at the conclusion of successful Personal Injury or Clinical Negligence claims in order to ensure that any compensation received does not affect income-related benefits or care provided.
Cases of note which I have been involved in are:
- Dealing with a multi-million pound Probate Dispute with allegations that the main beneficiary of the estate had unduly influenced the testator.
- Defending a claim under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act involving agricultural land where a successful claim could have affected the succession of the family farming business.
- Dealing with a sizeable estate with issues pertaining to jurisdiction which could have increased the tax payable by hundreds-of-thousands of pounds.
- Negligence claims resulting in life-changing injuries and seeking compensation for the ongoing care required as a result of the same.
Legal Insights from Samuel
Commercial Dispute Resolution
Inheritance & Estate Disputes
Personal Dispute Resolution
Powers of Attorney & Court of Protection
Professional Negligence & Misconduct
Wills, Trusts and Probate Solicitors
What our clients say
We would like to thank you for all your support, advice and professionalism.