I am a Family Partner and Law Society Accredited Children Solicitor based at the firm’s Bramhall office.
I read Law at The University of Manchester and went on to complete the Legal Practice Course at The College of Law, Chester attaining a Distinction. I joined Butcher & Barlow upon completion of my academic training and have been with the firm ever since. I qualified as a Solicitor in 2012.
I undertake all aspects of family law including divorce, dissolution of Civil Partnerships, the separation of unmarried couples and dealing with the resulting financial matters. I have dealt with a number of complex and high net worth cases. I also deal with cases where the assets are modest and those in which every pound counts. I have represented clients in cases involving the following features:
- Contested Court proceedings where the marital assets exceed £5 million and have been determined in the High Court or “Manchester Money List”.
- Cases involving serious health concerns and issues of capacity and the appointment of a Litigation Friend.
- Cases where third parties have intervened in the proceedings in relation to jointly owned properties and business assets.
- Inherited wealth.
- Business assets and assets situated abroad.
- The drafting of Prenuptial and Postnuptial agreements in contemplation of or following marriage including same-sex marriage.
- Cohabitation agreements where the parties wish to define their financial circumstances before living together and to prescribe what should happen to their jointly or solely owned property upon separation.
- Separation Agreements for both cohabiting couples and those who do not immediately plan to divorce.
I am also regularly instructed in cases involving children, both in the private law arena in disputes regarding where children should live or with whom they should have contact, and in the public law arena representing parents, children and extended family members where Children’s Services have started Court proceedings, or have indicated an intention to do so. I regularly represent parents at meetings with Children’s Services where they have been invited to be involved in the pre-proceedings process.
The Law Society recognised my expertise in this area in 2016 when after completion of a rigorous assessment process I was accredited to The Law Society Children Law Scheme. I now represent children as well as parents and other family members in Court proceedings concerning their welfare.
I have dealt with a number of cases involving complexities of both fact and law including cases involving:
- Domestic abuse including cases involving applications for Non-Molestation Orders and Occupation Orders and the pursuit of and subsequent findings by the Court of abuse including marital rape and in the Court’s view “extreme violence”.
- Long-standing drug and alcohol misuse.
- Mental health issues and representing clients with difficulties as to capacity including cases involving the appointment of the Official Solicitor.
- Injuries to children including fractures, head injuries, bruising and fatal injury.
- Complex medical evidence.
- Applications for Secure Accommodation Orders including where placement is outside the jurisdiction resulting in an application before a foreign Court.
- Longstanding social care involvement and removal of other children.
I regularly conduct advocacy before Magistrates and District and Circuit Judges in the Family Courts in Cheshire, Manchester, Merseyside and also further afield ensuring that my clients have continuity of representation where possible.
I represent clients on both a privately paying and legally aided basis where the strict eligibility criteria are met.
Outside of work I enjoy spending time with family and walking my two golden retrievers in the Cheshire countryside.