Our Commercial Property team has considerable expertise in dealing with the legal aspects of property occupation. We have acted for a wide range of both landlords and tenants including individuals companies and pension funds. Their properties span a broad range – warehouses, factories, offices, shops, licenced premises and restaurants, high street retail units and commercial and industrial estates.
As a potential landlord, you need to ensure that you take expert advice early on in the process. The Commercial Property team here at Butcher & Barlow will liaise with your professional team, including the agent and surveyor, and your accountant. We will guide you through the transaction and assist you as much or little as you require. The commercial property team can assist with:
- Negotiating Heads of Terms;
- Drafting and negotiating leases, licences for alteration, licences to assign or to sub let;
- Advising on rent reviews;
- Advising on guarantors and rent deposits;
- Advising on the statutory procedure for landlords to contract out of the security of tenure provisions of the Landlord and Tenant Act to ensure that the landlord can recover possession of the premises at the end of the contractual term;
- Dealing with lease renewals and variations;
- Advising on bringing leases to an end by notice and in connection with dilapidation claims against the tenant when they have left; and
- Possession claims if a tenant refuses to leave and recovery of rent arrears.
We will give you precise, practical advice in relation to all aspects of leasing commercial property, whether you are leasing a high street shop on a new business venture, or a company needing to expand into larger premises. We can advise you on all aspects of the transaction including;
- Drafting and negotiating the lease;
- Advising you on break clauses to enable you to terminate the lease before the end of the contractual term;
- Advice on rent reviews;
- Advising in relation to provisions in the lease relating to assignment and underletting;
- Advising you in relation to alterations to the property that you may wish to make and reinstatement provisions at the end of the term;
- Advising you on security of tenure under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1954 where you wish to take a new lease of the premises at the end of the term and advising you as to the effect of the lease being “contracted out” of protection;
- Advising you on dilapidation claims made by your landlord when you leave the premises; and
- Preparing and submitting Stamp Duty Land Tax Returns and registration of your lease at the Land Registry.
A member of our specialist Commercial Property team will always be happy to discuss any issues relating to leasing commercial property.