The breakdown of a family relationship can be difficult and have consequences for you, your children and your financial position. The members of our Family Law Team have full knowledge of all areas of family law and can help you to address these consequences and plan for the future. We have an experienced Family Law Team, with solicitors who are members and accredited specialists of recognised family law associations including Resolution, the Law Society’s Children Panel and the Advanced Family Panel.
The areas upon which we are able to provide advice include:
• Divorce and dissolution of Civil Partnerships.
• Separation, either where you are married and considering a separation rather than a divorce, or where you have never been married and are separating.
• Financial and property issues arising from divorce, separation and Civil Partnerships.
• Disputes over jointly owned properties.
• Arrangements for children upon the breakdown of a relationship including Parental Responsibility, Child Arrangements Orders and urgent Orders if there are concerns for your children.
• Domestic abuse issues including applying for Non-Molestation Orders and Occupation Orders (Injunctions).
• Care proceedings and child protection issues including the involvement of Social Services with your children, grandchildren and relatives.
• Advice on arrangements before you enter into a relationship including Pre-Nuptial Agreements and Co-habitation Agreements.
Our Family Law Team has the experience and understanding to help you though these difficult issues. Where possible, we will aim to achieve a settlement for you without the need to attend Court as we appreciate that Court proceedings can be both expensive and emotionally draining. Where Court proceedings are necessary, we will aim to conduct the proceedings in a robust but non confrontational manner. Our experience demonstrates that this approach will obtain the most cost effective and least stressful resolution for you.
We appreciate that the cost of instructing a solicitor can appear daunting. We offer a free initial appointment for all Family Law issues where we will assess your case, explain how we can help and discuss funding options. We have a contract to provide Legal Aid where this is available and we will assess whether we can obtain Legal Aid for you. If Legal Aid is not available, we aim to provide affordable fixed fees so that you have certainty over the costs of your case as the matter progresses.
Please contact your local Butcher & Barlow office if you wish to arrange a free initial appointment.
What our clients say...
I will always be eternally grateful for everything you have done to keep me safe.
You are a credit to Butcher & Barlow.J Harrison - Family - Bramhall - November
Thank you for all the support an encouragement you gave me as I went through my divorce. Your kindness and consideration helped me cope and gave me strength when all seemed hopeless.F Jones - Family - Bramhall - April 2017
Thank you for all your hard work in dealing with my divorce in such a considerate and professional manner. Working with you made a very difficult process much more manageable.C Lowther - Family Department - Bramhall - June 2016
Thanks to you [Laura Simmonds], Stephen, and your colleagues for your professional and friendly service the last couple of years. I suppose the majority of times people need legal services, it's not for the most positive reasons, but I sincerely hope the next time I contact you will be for something slightly less taxing than this situation has been!Family - Bury Office - April 2016
Family Law Team
Our team of Family Law specialists.
Cathy Achilles Runcorn
Charlotte Beck Bury - Matrimonial
Caroline Cockill-Guy Northwich
Rachel Cryan Tyldesley
Angela Gleave Sandbach
Kevan Hankinson Prestwich
Stephen Holland Bury - Matrimonial
Claire Jackson Leigh
Helen Oakes Frodsham Runcorn
Laura Simmonds Bury - Matrimonial
Abigail Smith Bury - Matrimonial
David Sykes Bury - Matrimonial
Philip Thompson Prestwich
Charlotte Toothill Leigh
Catherine Vardy Northwich
Alexandra Wainwright Northwich - Gadbrook Park
Nicola Wingfield Bramhall
Our firm includes experts covering a wide range of legal disciplinesView Our People