I am a Partner with over 40 years legal experience based at the firm’s dedicated agricultural and commercial office at Gadbrook Park, Northwich. I head the Agricultural and Estates Department, and am a recommended lawyer in the Legal 500 for both Agricultural and Estate and Personal Tax Trusts and Probate.
I pride myself on giving practical and straight forward advice, no matter how complex the clients problems or issues.
I was educated at Sandbach School, Warwick University and Chester College of Law (University of Law, Chester) I have an Honours Degree in Law from Warwick University and obtained a Distinction in Conveyancing and Property Law from the College of Law, Chester.
I specialise in:
- Agricultural and Mixed use Residential Property
- Agricultural Holding Act and Farm Business Tenancies
- Wills, Lasting Powers of Attorney, Succession Planning
- Inheritance Tax Mitigation
- Administration of Estates – including Post Death Deeds of Variation
I have a personal interest in:
- HS2 issues – I am a member of the firms committee and have dealt with numerous property / land sales.
- Advising on the most tax efficient Agricultural Business Structure, Partnership Agreements and Shareholders Agreements.
- Stamp Duty Land Tax.
- Planning – Agricultural Occupancy Restrictions.
- High value properties and Buy to Let portfolios.
- First Registration of Title.
I act for Charities, Farmers and Land owners at all levels. Coming from an agricultural background (had I remained in farming I would have been a 17 generation Cheshire farmer), I have a detailed knowledge of all farming practices.
I am a Member of the County Landowners Association, Tenants Farmers Association, British Institute of Agricultural Consultants and Solicitors for the elderly. I maintain close links with the Agricultural industry –being involved both in the family farm and assisting my relations all of whom continue to farm locally. My daughter is a qualified veterinary surgeon and my son an accountant (with a particular interest in Agricultural Taxation).
I am involved n the local community, being Chair of the Parish Council in Smallwood, Trustee of the Smallwood Village Hall and a member of the Old Sandbachians Association.
I enjoy all forms of rural pursuits and have an interest in both classic tractors and motors vehicles (owning both). I enjoy motoring in Europe, watching Formula 1 and tennis, off road I am particularly fond of French red wine.
My clients commended in the Legal 500:
“We have a great deal of faith in his judgement”
“Strong on planning for agricultural clients – can explain legal procedure in a way which makes it easily understandable and therefore less stressful”
Legal Insights from Mike
Powers of Attorney & Court of Protection
Wills, Trusts & Probate